The Local Farmacy Rx program is designed to provide assistance and education to Montrose and Olathe families who may be at risk of developing a diet related disease. Local Farmacy Rx fosters partnerships between nutrition educators, community food producers and health care providers. The program is dedicated to increasing the consumption of local fruits and vegetables and improving the health of individuals in the Montrose and Olathe communities. Our goals are to:
- Reduce barriers to fruit and vegetable intake
- Reduce BMI in overweight family members
- Increase knowledge about the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables
- Increase knowledge of how to cook and prepare fruits and vegetables
- Increase sales of locally-grown produce
- Increase the number of medical providers who prescribe fruits and vegetables
Components of Local Farmacy Rx
Teaches adults and children how to cook healthy meals on a budget.
2. Farmacy Buck$
An incentive program for the cooking and nutrition classes where participants receive a weekly stipend to purchase local fruits and vegetables.
Provides fruit and vegetable prescriptions to Montrose and Olathe residents.
4. Family Network
A support system of participants where healthy eating is encouraged at gatherings and potlucks.